Why I take supplements


I am 49 years old and for long time I have battled high blood pressure, and every six months I have to change my medications because my body get used to it. As the time passed, I gained weight and developed type 2 diabetes, and what does that mean? It meant one more medication that I have to take, which makes it a total of 3. 

Two years ago I started to go to a weight management clinic; yes, I was doing well and I was losing weight but soon after my weight started go up again. For two long years, it was like that; I would gain weight, I change my diet and go down a few pounds, and gain them again and go down... Finally, I decided to search on the internet and see what I can eat that could help me with my problems, and start losing weight. What I found was a doctor in the US that create a diet to help people with thyroid, high blood pressure, and diabetes to lose weight and get healthy. I said to myself, “Good! Finally someone wrote something for people that have the same problems as me!” I did it right away and what happened…… Nothing! ... Nothing at all!

Then, I started to have this terrible back pain that sometimes I cannot even walk in the house, and do not even think to walk outside or even go into the car and drive. I visited my doctor and he sent me to have 2 sets of back injections; I did it, the results, I was good for a few months, but now I have started with my back pain again. What the doctor told me is that I have this because of the weight. At that moment I realised that he does not believe me about all the things I am doing to get better. The next week I had my appointment with my weight management doctor and when talking to her I can feel clearly that she does not believe me either and I was very mad about it. I was thinking, why these people do not believe me! I love myself enough to know that I want a better quality of life and I want to be there for my family. I have two teen daughters in the house, and I want to be there for them, not only in the bad times but also in that special moments and that is very important to me. But, how can I make my doctors understand that I tried everything and nothing was working?

I went to the internet and I figured out that all of the medication that I am taking is synthetic, nothing is made from natural products! Well, what the synthetic medication is doing to me is making me gain more weight! Which in turn, made me obese, and help me to become unhealthy! That helped me to realize that I need to find something that is real in this world of fake. And like my mother always says:

                      “What Rosario wants, Rosario gets” 

I could not even sleep thinking about it! That’s for sure! Because I am very persistent in nature. Then I found out that we need supplements to make our bodies get well. But, that we have to be careful with this too; because the big majority that we find in the market are either synthetic, or do not have what the bottle says they do. That make me realize that the laboratories over there do not care about the consumers but only about selling and making money out of it.

In November 2014, I started with this high quality supplements and finally today I can say that I am getting healthy with the supplements that I take. Moreover, it is even better knowing that for April my doctor will take away all of the medication that I take because I am healthy.

Then I was thinking of all the people out there with similar or the same problems that I have and what will happen to them? Why do the doctors not talk about people taking supplements, when our food does not have the nutrients that we need? Today I was reading “Eat Well, Age Better” and the author said that doctors still get little or no nutrition education during their medical training. In 1985 the U.S Food and Nutrition Board, an advisory board on nutrition policy in North America, proposed that doctors receive a minimum of 25 hours of nutrition education over the course of their studies. It also states that 25 years later only 27% of American medical schools meet even those meagre requirements, and the average is only 19.6 hours. The Canadian medical students found that 87.2% want more time devoted to nutrition, and over half felt handicapped by their lack of nutritional knowledge when it came to counselling patients.

At that moment, I realize that we are responsible for our own bodies, and whatever the experts in nutrition and the media said we need to figure out ourselves what we want for our lives and for our future.

I choose to be healthy and feel like I’m in my 30s when I am in my 50s, and I am getting there. What do you choose? What do you want for your life? If only we start taking conciseness that supplements our good for us and that help us to get healthy why we not start taking it to? I believe that if we all start taking supplements regularly in our lives a lot of these illnesses will not exist anymore, only because we take the step forward and take the choice to a better healthy quality of life.

Thank you Dr. Myron Wentz, because your vision has help me to become healthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I AM